Thursday, March 20, 2014

The engagement

So I may have lost my engagement ring...

So if I get another, I want the proposal to happen again.

Luke & I decided we'd get married in December 2000. So the question was the engagement. Where, what, etc? We looked at rings, I had some ideas, he had some. I knew it would happen, but when? Where? How?

We headed to the Outer Banks for our first vacation together in June 1999. Luke & I had been dating for about 9 months. We didn't have enough money to rent a gorgeous oceanside home, so we were practical and headed to the Holiday Inn.

Luke had never been to the Outer Banks. I'd been a few times before so he asked my thoughts on a "nice" restaurant. I rolled my eyes and said, C'mon, it's the beach. Everything's pretty casual. But he persisted so we searched the Internet for well-rated wine places.

The first slot was 1587. I'd never actually gone to Manteo so it seemed like a cool spot. And it was lovely. It was mid-June and there was a little shower so we watched the rain hitting the boats in the marina. We arrived early & Luke asked for a scotch or whisky, only to learn that the island is dry. So we were a little nervous things might go a-rye (sorry for the whisky pun).

I ordered a chicken tortilla soup that arrived beautifully - lovely decorated bowl and awesome to partake. Luke had a risotto that has been our benchmark ever since.

Time out- We've finished dinner & I excuse myself to use the loo. When I return, I stop by the Tranquil House's desk & inquire about rates for an overnight stay. It's a bit more than the Holiday Inn, but we might be able to splurge. So when I return to the table, I mention it to Luke. He's interested, but kinda blah about it.

And then I do the Kirsten thing. I promised myself in the loo that I was NOT GOING TO SAY ANYTHING. DON'T BRING IT UP. Queen of no will power. So I say, "I kinda thought you were going to propose tonight." Luke looks totally taken aback & apologizes. "Oh, I'm sorry you thought that." I get redder than my hair. I look out toward the marina where it's gently raining & I want to run out there. Anywhere but here...

Luke says "How long should I let you stew?"

Pretty much the most romantic words ever...and he said "Will you marry me?"

And I got the engagement ring that had been traveling around in my car's spare tire area for a month. Staying at the Tranquil House Inn - umm, yeah! Of course, because that's where we're getting engaged.

A guy who put one over on me, called me on my arrogance...my answer was obviously yes.

So that's what my ring means to me. Chicken tortilla soup, rain at the marina, a guy who calls my bluff. My engagement ring means more to me than my wedding band. Because that's when we really made the commitment.

No comments: