Friday, May 30, 2014

Book crazy

I often read 2 or 3 books at the same time. I have to have a book in my car, in case I have an appointment. At home, I need a downstairs book & an upstairs book. Upstairs books are usually non-library books as they take me a long time.

When I bring books into public places, people ask me what I'm reading. That response takes a minute. I try to gauge whether they're asking to feign interest or genuinely interested. And that takes a moment.

And then I explain what I'm reading & feel like I have to justify what I'm reading.

I'm addicted to medieval & Renaissance historical fiction & if it's a mystery, it's like the book is canonized. World War I mysteries are a favorite too. I have a History degree, I come by it honestly. But I still feel like I need a disclaimer...

Hello, my name is Kirsty & I have a problem with getting too many books from the library. Can you blame me? My library did win a prestigious award this year.

Unfortunately, my 12 step plan still involves me going to the library. I volunteer there...not as often as I'd like.

But when I volunteer, I generally find additional books to adopt...I mean, borrow.

No comments: