Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Money, money, money

$1 billion is slated to be raised, and presumably spent, by President Obama in his reelection campaign. All of the GOP hopefuls are gearing up their fundraising machines so they can control the spin, the message, the bulls**t to first battle each other in the primaries and then wage the final battle against Obama. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, isn't it just silly? Granted, this money goes into small businesses, but a lot of it goes to polling groups, advertising agencies on Madison Avenue & television station owners. (Full disclosure: I own stock in a station owner & yes, their profits & their stock price has significantly increased in part because of the 2010 campaign.) If the 2012 election costs more than $2 billion just at the presidential level, what does that say about us as a country? Why are we not spending our money buying books for schools, donating food to soup kitchens? As political as I am, I decided a few years ago not to donate to campaigns or PACs, etc. I will donate my time & I will speak out in support of something, but for the moment, I won't give money to anybody.

No comments: